Newport - Field Grade
The Newport is a newer high alpha hop variety used mainly for bittering, that was developed at the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) in Corvallis, OR in 1996.Released in 2002 and has a complex pedigree based on Brewers Gold, Hallertauer, Late Grape, Belgian & Fuggle genetics. Specifically bred to have better resistance to mildews. Has a much more balanced bittering/ aroma/ flavor profile than Magnum or Galena. It is more similar to Nugget, in that Newport also does not impart a citrus note. Used/ blended in a wide variety of beers...Read More
*Retail Orders will ship within 7-10 days of purchase after May 1st. Orders placed before May 1st are considered a Spring Pre-Order and will be shipped only once plants are out of dormancy and actively growing.*
- Alpha acids: 13.5-17.0%
- Maturity: Moderately Late
- Yield: High 2300-2840 lbs/acre
- Storage stability: Good 60% of alpha acids remaining after 6 months
- Aroma: balanced bittering type hop. Fairly pungent, resiny flavor.
- Grower notes: superior to Nugget in our trials. Beefy crowns with good primary bines, climbs well, has even more aroma/ flavor than Nugget (more evergreen/piney) Good resistance to mildews and tolerates a wider range of soil conditions than most varieties.
- Fully rooted plant - NOT a rhizome. A rhizome is a part of a hop plant's root system that grows horizontally underground putting out shoots.
Plant Replacement Policy
*Spring Pre-order - Will ship once 2nd season stock breaks dormancy in the spring and can be properly quality checked. Estimated to ship by April 1st.