Columbia - Field Grade
An all-purpose hop with pungent aromatics and a clean, crisp flavor profile. This hop variety was developed for Budweiser in the 1960’s as a triploid hybrid resulting from a cross of tetraploid Fuggle X Fuggle seedling and is Willamette’s sister. Bud’s brewer’s preferred it in 6 out of 6 brew tests over Willamette, but were over-ruled by the head brewer in favor of the softer noble Willamette hop; which went on to be grown for Budweiser. A higher alpha version of Willamette and Columbia’s oil profile is identical. A vigorous grower with 20-40”sidearms. Substitutes: Centennial, Chinook. A promising variety for Midwest production...Read More
Each item is one complete dormant crown, or a field-ready plant, depending on time of year: a plant that is a minimum of 1 growing season old with a well developed root system with multiple breaks taken from healthy vigorous stock. It is professional quality and since it is a live rooted plant, it offers the best chance of successfully growing and producing your favorite varieties of hops.
- Alpha acids: 7.6-9.0%, betas 4%, cohumulone 40%, total oils 1.2ml/100g, myrcene 54%, humulene 17%
- Aroma: crisp pineapple, bright lemony citrus notes – but not as strong as Chinook
- Yield: very good 1800- 2200 lbs/acre
- Maturity: early to mid-season
- Storage stability: good
- Beer styles: developed for lighter beer styles with a crisp finish, but is also finding use in Ambers, Porters, & Stouts.
- Trellis type: 12x42, 36-42” in-row spacing.
- Grower notes: Medium-sized, pointy cones similar to Chinook cones. Vigorous grower with good resistance to mildews. Does not have the late-breaking dormancy issues like Willamette. Could be a great substitute for Willamette & Fuggle types; especially for Midwest growers. One of the top performers in grower trials and should be considered as a new possible “work horse” type hop. Candidate for organic production.
- Fully rooted plant - NOT a rhizome. A rhizome is a part of a hop plant's root system that grows horizontally underground putting out shoots.
*Actual plant sizes may vary between varieties. Pictures depict plants shipped at different times of the year; actively growing, or dormant and are for reference only.