Magnum (US) - Field Grade
A German extract/ bittering hybrid with good yield potential. Released 1980; a Galena X German male 75/5/3. No distinct aroma addition when brewing – considered a very clean, non-harsh, bittering hop with very high alpha acids. Used in a wide array of beers and pairs well with low bittering aroma hops like Saaz and Crystal.
- Alpha acids: 13-15% w/ relatively low cohumulone offer superior foam and mouth feel.
- Aroma: faint spice and citrus, bittering type w/ little harshness
- Maturity: mid-season – Mid to late August
- Yield: High, 1340 - 1700 lb/ acre plus, good cone size and pick-ability.
- Storage stability: 80%-85% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage < 70° F
- Grower notes: Comes out of the ground well with large primary bines and is easy to train. Some resistance to mildews and pests. A large variety that is only slightly less vigorous than Galena. Takes two seasons to establish. Prefers acidic, well-drained soils that are high in humic acids. Raised row recommended. Shows some resistance to mildews and pests.