Northern Brewer - Field Grade
DISCONTINUED as of 10/01/18 - Available while in-stock quantities last
An older 1934 aromatic English Canterbury Golding X OB21male variety with a crisp, neutral aroma, but with high bittering qualities. Good dual purpose hop. Has 12-20” short side arms. More popular with eastern US craft brewers for full-bodied ales...Read More
*Retail Orders will ship within 7-10 days of purchase after May 1st. Orders placed before May 1st are considered a Spring Pre-Order and will be shipped only once plants are out of dormancy and actively growing.*
Alpha Acids: 7.0 - 9.0%
Beta Acids: 3.0 - 5.0%
- Alpha acids: 7-9% with high oils that really add flavor
- Aroma: neutral, clean aroma, dual purpose English bittering type hop
- Yield: lower 800-1200 lbs/acre, unless high density is used.
- Maturity: early
- Storage stability: very good 75-80% remaining
- Grower notes: An overlooked variety that reportedly grows well in sandy sites. Also grown in Europe, shorter side arms pick well. Shows resistance to mildews. Short side arms make this a candidate for short trellis and/or higher density plantings. Brewers are rediscovering its uniqueness. Raised row recommended.
- Fully rooted plant - NOT a rhizome. A rhizome is a part of a hop plant's root system that grows horizontally underground putting out shoots.
Plant Replacement Policy
*Spring Pre-orders - Will ship once 2nd season stock breaks dormancy in the spring and can be properly quality checked. Estimated to ship by April 1st.