Wye Viking - Field Grade
An English Svalof cross selection related to Saxon bred at Wye college. (Usually just referred to as Viking) It has an unusually higher alpha acids profile than most aroma types. One of the Brits best new hops; and is used in their commercial production. Good possibilities for American brewers crafting new aromatic beers.
- Alpha Acids: 8-10% balanced bittering, “super-aroma hop”
- Aroma: pleasant, unique Svalof type aroma
- Yield: medium 1000-1200 lbs/acre, unless planted high density
- Storage stability: good- 70%
- Maturity: mid-season
- Grower notes: notably smaller plant structure than American types; candidate for hedgerow type yards with proper spacing. Shows resistance to mildews but is susceptible to mites due to dense plant habit. Two years to establish. Prefers a more neutral or alkaline soil with additional bonemeal. Raised row required and intolerant of over-watering. (Plants irrigated at the same level as Chinook almost drowned out in a single season.)