Cluster (Early) - Field Grade
DISCONTINUED as of 10/01/18 - Available while in-stock quantities last
Early Cluster is probably the oldest American clonal selection to be used in commercial production. The heirloom variety is a cross of Dutch colonist’s diploid hops with wild native American hops found in the Eastern U.S.A. It is a classic all-purpose hop; the original “C” citrus hop. It is being re-discovered by craft brewers on the East coast for New England style beers. Has a longer 24-36” sidearm length. Because of its large cone size and vigor, it has also been used frequently in hop breeding programs...Read More
Alpha Acids: 5.5 - 8.5%
Beta Acids: 4.5 - 5.5%
- Alpha acids: 5.5-8.5%, betas 4.5-5.5%, cohumulone 36-42%, total oils .4-1.2ml/100g, myrcene 45-55%, humulene 15-18%, high in soft resins
- Aroma: intense citrus & passion fruit
- Yield: moderate 1600-2000 lbs/acre
- Maturity: early, large cones borne in clusters
- Storage stability: very good
- Beer styles: versatile kettle hop for a wide variety of beer styles; including Barley wines.
- Grower notes: vigorous grower, mildly susceptible to both mildews– needs good air circulation and proper planting density. Large cone size is very impressive; easy to see can see why it was selected for breeding programs. Reported mildew problems on internet sourced information is overstated. It is a relatively low-maintenance hop in our Michigan hopyard trials.
- Plant spacing: 14’ aisles X 36-42”in-row spacing. May benefit from cluster style planting.
Plant Replacement Policy
Retail orders ship within 7 - 10 days. Delayed Ship/Pre-ordering not Available.