Southern Cross (NZ) - Field Grade
A triploid seedless New Zealand high alpha aroma variety released in 1994. A cross of a tetraploid smoothcone X diploid NZ male. A potent hop that can be a versatile dual purpose hop due to its high levels of oils. 20-40” sidearms with a bit less of the rangy plant habit of most NZ varieties. No close substitutes. Noted vigorous grower with good resistance to mildews and disease in trials...Read More
*Retail Orders will ship within 7-10 days of purchase after May 1st. Orders placed before May 1st are considered a Spring Pre-Order and will be shipped only once plants are out of dormancy and actively growing.*
Alpha Acids: 11.0-14.0%
Beta Acids: 6.0-7.0%
Each item is one complete dormant crown, or a field-ready plant, depending on time of year: a plant that is a minimum of 1 growing season old with a well developed root system with multiple breaks taken from healthy vigorous stock. It is professional quality and since it is a live rooted plant, it offers the best chance of successfully growing and producing your favorite varieties of hops.
- Alpha acids: 11-14%, betas 6-7%, cohumulone 28%, total oils 1.2 ml/100g, myrcene 31%, humulene 20%
- Aroma: citrusy lemon peel, pine needles and spice
- Yield: high potential 1800 lbs/acre+, elongated cones
- Maturity: mid-season (earlier than other NZ types)
- Storage stability: very good
- Beer styles: popular in IPAs, excellent oils profile.
- Grower notes: A promising NZ type in Michigan grower trials 2014. Plant has a wedge-shaped (clavate) form with the longest sidearms at the top of the bine. Good resistance to diseases and has a strong plant habit and growth. Ranked highly in our trial evaluations.
Plant Replacement Policy
*Spring Pre-order - Will ship once 2nd season stock breaks dormancy in the spring and can be properly quality checked. Estimated to ship by April 1st.