Shop Now | Terms & Policies | Shipping | FAQ
Challenger is English diploid cross X German Zattler variety. Profile similar to Northern Brewer but with reported better yields. A major commercial variety in England. Substitutes: Northern Brewer. Good Dual purpose hop, higher alphas than most English hops, a versatile kettle hop.
- Alpha acids: 6.2 – 9.8%, dual purpose hop w/ balanced bittering
- Aroma: spicy, clean citrusy aroma with an added distinct herbal note
- Yield: 1000- 1600 lbs/acre (better than Northern Brewer)
- Storage stability: good – 70% plus
- Maturity: mid to late season
- Grower notes: Vigorous grower with a dense clustered cone set. Yields well in our Michigan trials and tolerates alkaline soils. Low resistance to mildews and mites can be problematic under hot dry conditions. Raised rows recommended. Dense tight cones require careful drying / processing or they will mold quickly. This hop consistently surprises craft brewers in our trials.