Hallertauer (US) - Field Grade
Classic German noble aroma type. Gradually being replaced by the Hallertauer hybrids Liberty & Mt. Hood. Very low bittering value. 12-30” side arms. Called for in many beer purist’s classic beer recipes and in premium beers. Requires well -drained acidic soils, high in humic acids.
- Alpha acids: 3-5.5%, low bittering similar to other noble varieties
- Aroma: subtle flower and spice
- Yield: Fair 1000-1900 lbs/acre
- Maturity: Early
- Storage stability: low 55% remaining (refrigerate)
- Grower notes: Establishes, as well, or better than its newer hybrids when grow in the Midwest, although potential yields are lower. Good plant structure and growth. Susceptible to crown rots in soggy soil conditions or if over-watered. Raised row required, with acidic soil conditions. Halletauer US takes two seasons to establish – similar to all the other noble European types.