Sterling - Field Grade
A Saazer-type diploid hybrid (USDA 21522 X USDA21361M), 1/4 Cascade parentage with reported better winter hardiness than Saazer. A noble aroma type with higher alpha oils, bitterness, and floral aroma than Saazer. 24-36” side arms.
- Alpha Acids: 6-9% profile similar to Saazer but higher
- Aroma: Herbs and spices with faint floral, citrus tones
- Maturity: Mid-season- mid to late August
- Storage: fair 50-65% (refrigerate)
- Yield: High 1800-2200 lbs/acre
- Grower notes: the first to enter dormancy, intolerant about wet soils. Reportedly tough to grow in Northern Michigan, but grows well in the Southwest. Seem to do well in more southern climes with mild winters and drier soils. Susceptible to mildews and viruses. Takes two years to establish. Does not perform as well as Saaz US in our Michigan trials –still working on it!