Newport - Field Grade
The Newport is a newer high alpha hop variety used mainly for bittering, that was developed at the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) in Corvallis, OR in 1996.Released in 2002 and has a complex pedigree based on Brewers Gold, Hallertauer, Late Grape, Belgian & Fuggle genetics. Specifically bred to have better resistance to mildews. Has a much more balanced bittering/ aroma/ flavor profile than Magnum or Galena. It is more similar to Nugget, in that Newport also does not impart a citrus note. Used/ blended in a wide variety of beers.
- Alpha acids: 13.5-17.0%
- Maturity: Moderately Late
- Yield: High 2300-2840 lbs/acre
- Storage stability: Good 60% of alpha acids remaining after 6 months
- Aroma: balanced bittering type hop. Fairly pungent, resiny flavor.
- Grower notes: superior to Nugget in our trials. Beefy crowns with good primary bines, climbs well, has even more aroma/ flavor than Nugget (more evergreen/piney) Good resistance to mildews and tolerates a wider range of soil conditions than most varieties.