Horizon - Bare Root Crown
A Brewers Gold X Zattler diploid hybrid released in 1997.(USDA65009 X USDA64035M) Resistant to Verticillium wilt. Good dual purpose, with high alpha acid level. Very low cohumulone level creates a smooth beer with good mouth-feel and foam stability. 15-30”side arms. Substitutes: Nugget is a genetically related sister, but Horizon grows totally different.
- Alpha acids: 11-14% good for bittering and flavoring
- Aroma: Floral, Spicy with citrus notes ; unique High alpha/ Aroma variety
- Yield: good 1800-2000 lbs/acre
- Maturity: mid to late
- Storage stability: good 68-89 very % remaining
- Grower notes: one of the best new high alpha /aroma varieties in trials so far; grows and climbs well, with a better crown structure than Nugget. Plant habit is notably different than most hops – with smaller, fuzzier leaves and shorter internodes. These traits create a dense foliage that can harbor mites and powdery mildew. A candidate for short trellis if spaced properly. Raised row recommend. Prefers more acidic soils.
- Brewer notes: Craft brewers like this hop because the very low comulone level is unusual in such a high alpha hop. This trait makes excellent foam characteristics with very little harshness or bitter aftertaste that is common in most high alpha varieties.